NCI Duct System Optimization and Residential Air Balancing
Do you want to provide your customers the very best comfort and energy effifiency, and a safe and healthy indoor environment?
It’s a known fact that typical air distribution systems across North America lose, on average, 43% of an HVAC system’s efficiency.
Your customers don’t have to live with these substandard systems. Now you can provide real solutions!
Learn how to deliver high quality, profitable duct system renovations that really work!
Set yourself apart from competitors by knowing how to optimize a duct system so it delivers the heating and cooling the equipment was designed to provide.
The process begins with a comprehensive evaluation of the existing duct system design, equipment sizing, followed by verification of real-time performance – not simulations. You will then learn how to uncover air distribution upgrade opportunities to deliver the highest quality, comfort, and performance your customers want and are willing to pay for.
Residential Air Balancing
Provide certified Air Balancing on your installations with this additional day of training and certification:
• More HVAC and energy professionals are discovering the importance of testing and balancing their installations for maximum system comfort and efficiency.
• Many building departments and utility programs now require balancing reports.
• Your ability to air balance your customers’ HVAC systems will keep you ahead of the competition!
Deliver profitable duct system renovations that will delight your customers!
Duct System Optimization
• Identify customer comfort issues using NCl’s Comfort Survey, then provide optimized solutions
• Learn how to test and diagnose air distribution systems and uncover upgrade opportunities
• Accurately estimate room airflow and pinpoint duct system deficiencies
• Use live measurements to select fans, coils, and filters
• Close more duct renovation sales using NCl’s exclusive tools and techniques. Explain to customers
what you’re doing in a simple, easy-to-understand manner
• Produce a renovation you can prove works using a final test-out.
• Enhance your company’s professional reputation with
NCl’s exclusive Duct System Optimization Certification.
Establish yourself as the true HVAC distribution system expert in your market.
Who Should Attend?
• Service & Maintenance Technicians
• Owners and Managers
• Service & Installation Managers
• Salespeople & Sales Managers
Residential Air Balancing
• Increase revenue and profitability by offering professional in-house balancing services at margins far exceeding the average service and equipment replacement margins
• Improve your ability to comply with new, tighter local, state, and federal building codes and energy
• Reduce system performance issues and energy consumption while improving comfort, IAQ, and
• Establish yourself as the go-to professional to solve long-standing problems.
Day 1-Introduction to Air Distribution Upgrade
• Why you should upgrade a duct system
• Three steps to uncover air distribution upgrade opportunities
• Use static pressure to identify duct system restrictions
• Determine fan capacity and fan airflow
• How to generate customer interest
• Show your customer how a balancing hood can help identify airflow issues in
• How to create a floor plan and duct schematic
• Document visible defects and needed changes
• Establish airflow requirements
• Estimate room airflow
Day 2 – Optimize the Duct System
• How to use fan capacity and fan tables
• Coil selection and filter sizing procedures
• The importance of proper airflow
• Debunk common airflow assumptions
• Understand how air moves through duct
• How to select the best duct fittings
• Envision the ideal air distribution system
• Duct renovation overview
• How to select the right registers, grilles, and diffusers
• Choose proper placement of registers grilles, and diffusers
The day concludes with NCl’s exclusive Duct System Optimization
Day 3 – Testing & Balancing Residential Systems
• History and purposes of balancing
• How to properly measure and interpret static pressure
• Using a balancing hood
• How to perform an airflow traverse
• Preparing for a balancing project
• How to set fan airflow
• Air test and balance procedures
• Overcoming obstacles in the field
• Final testing and documentation
The day concludes with NCl’s exclusive Residential Air Balancing certification exam
Frequently Asked Questions
NCl’s certifications are among the most recognized in our industry. By passing the exams on Day 2 and 3 you will earn Duct System Optimization Specialist and Residential Air Balancer certifications.
This certification is valid for two years. Recertification is achieved with eight hours of NCI continuing education.
The typical NCI training day is 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Light refreshments and lunch are included.